Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Who am I writing the plan for?

I spend most of my time gathering data and writing behavior plans. Lately, I keep feeling like I'm writing a plan with the student's name at the top, but really I'm writing a plan to change the behavior of the teachers. Case in point, I'm working on a student who is placed at a private school because his team decided that his mental health issues make it impossible for him to attend his home school. He definitely has some unmet mental health issues. However, his teacher provides little consistency or structure, demands compliance and doesn't really teach social skills explicitly. Additionally, she doesn't seem to lesson plan - she just kind of makes it up as she goes along. In the student's plan I've got things like, "Provide a consistent schedule with times for each activity that is referred to frequently throughout the day" and "When correcting the student tell him what he has done wrong, why it was wrong and what the correct thing to do is." I try to play it off as speaking to the specific needs of the child but really, who am I writing this plan for?

No comments: