Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Fruits and vegetables are the new candy

Many of my students come to school without having eaten breakfast (and sometimes dinner). This is a need that I can help them with. I've been buying granola bars by the ton in order to combat their hunger. I have them in a cabinet where students can help themselves. I get the generic version of the Nature's Valley granola bars that you can get just about any where. It's kind of a pain because they're a bit expensive and they're tasty so I think students eat them when they just feel like eating rather than just when they're actually hungry. And I sometimes eat one at lunch though I bring plenty food to eat- just something to do while I do paperwork.

Yesterday, the only variety I had left were "Honey & Oat" - an unpopular flavor. One student who was having a really rough day told me he hadn't really eaten in the last 12 hours but he didn't like the granola bars. I told him the only other thing I had was an apple. He was psyched to eat an apple and devoured it. So I cracked that I'll just buy apples for everybody from now on. This was met with, "Yeah!" 's all around. Then another student said, "And celery. I love celery." Followed by, "Broccoli would be good too. But keep it in the fridge."

So today I'm going to buy a bunch of apples.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say, based only on this post and the sites you link to -- that you sound like a wonderful teacher?

Thanks for working with a population that many others avoid. And hey, who can help but love kids who request broccoli, celery, and apples?

B said...

That's the thing, kids with behavior issues often turn out to be the most interesting and fun kids in the school. Don't tell anyone but my job rules.