Thursday, June 12, 2008

Promotion

Three of my four students attended the promotion ceremony from 8th grade to the high school yesterday. I had to pick up Trains! myself because his mother was working and couldn't bring him - at least that's what she told him. When I arrived at his house his mom was there and had "just gotten home". I said, "Great. So you're going to be able to take him." She said, "Well, I just stepped in the door." Me: "We've got time. It's his 8th grade graduation." Her: "Umm...I don't think I can make it." Me: "Really? It's a really big deal that he's in the ceremony." Her: "Yeah. I just stepped in." Me: Staring at her for a moment then turning to Trains! "Ready to go?" In the car Trains! told me his mom had been home for an hour.

This is a mother that I had never met before in person and would never answer my phone calls or return them. In two years I spoke to her maybe 3 times. She never came to the school and it was like pulling teeth to get her to return forms with her signature. And Trains! is so great and has made so much progress these two years. (I would never have thought he would qualify for the promotion ceremony last year and this year it was a no-brainer.) The weird thing is that Trains! doesn't seem to think it's all that weird. I would like to hurt her and he's talking about the camping trip they're going on later this summer. Ack.

No comments: