Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Stress Differences

Yesterday I figured out the difference in the types of stress I dealt with last year as a behavior classroom teacher and this year as a behavior consultant. As a teacher, the stress came from students who were melting down. When this was happening I was trying to prevent a student from hurting himself or others. There's a level of trauma that's associated with this type of stress. With my new job I have a million things on my plate at once and it's really quite stressful. But the stress comes from, for instance, having to get a presentation done in two days that was assigned yesterday. That's stressful but no one's safety is on the line. I guess that's what I often thought of when people would tell me about their stressful office jobs during the past 8 years. And now I have an office job.

No comments: